IN ANCIENT TIMES the island was called Ofiousa or Hydrousa. It enjoyed the protection of god Poseidon and Tsiknias, while the highest mountain was protected by Eolos, the god of winds.

The legend says that Tinos was named after its first settler. In 1207, Tinos was conquered by the Venetians and this is the reason why there are still many Catholics on the island. In 1715, the island fell under Turkish rule, and, in 1821, fought for liberty
The island is famous for the Church of Panagia Evangelistria and the icon of the Holy Virgin. It is a place of pilgrimage, the peak time being on the 15th of August. Tinos is a vast open-air popular architecture museum, with 34 villages, 1000 dovecotes, 740 chapels, 150 windmills and many marble fountains.
Daily services operate from
Piraeus (3 hours duration), Rafina (1:45 hours),
Mykonos (15 minutes), Paros (1:15 hours) and Syros (2 hours).
There are at least 2 daily ferries operating from
Piraeus (6 hours) and one from Rafina (3:30 hours).
Daily ferry services go to
Mykons (30 minutes), Andros (1:30 hours), Syros (50 minutes), Paros (2:30 hours) and Santorini (5 hours).
Police Station 22830 22255, 22830 22100
Port Police 22830 22348
Tourist Police 22830 23670
Port Authority 22830 22348
Health Centre 22830 23781, 22830 22210

Port Authority of Piraeus 210 422 6000
Port Authority of Rafina 22940 22487
Port Authority of Thessaloniki

The Church of Panagia Evangelistria (the Church of Annunciation), built of the island’s marble, houses the icon of the Holy Virgin, draped with gold, silver, jewels and pearls. Pilgrims may be seen crawling on hands and knees to the church, to show their devotion to the sacred icon. The church complex also contains museums that house religious artefacts and artworks.
Behind the
Church Of Panagia Evangelistria there is the ancient city wall.

The Archaeological Museum, situated on Leoforos Megaloharis, has a collection of sculptures, jars and grave relics found in excavations on the island. Tel.: 22830 22670
The Museum of Tinian Artists, next to the Church of Panagia Evangelistria, exhibits pieces of artwork made by local artists. Among them, works signed by Nikolaos Gizis, Nikiforos Lytras, Giannoulis Halepas and Dimitrios Filipottis.
The Art Gallery contains collections of replica paintings made by Renaissance masters.
    Back to the top
Cyclades Islands