WHEN THE FIRST MINOANS settled on the island, around 3000 BC, they named the place Minoa. 2000 years later, the Arcadians, who occupied the island, changed its name into Paros, after the son of Parassios of Arcadia. The island was successively occupied by the Ionians, Macedonians, Ptolemies, Mithridates and the Romans.Paros was the motherland of great ancient people like poet Archilohos and sculptors Scopas, Aristion and Agoracritos. After the conversion to Christianity, Paros became part of the Byzantine Empire and many churches were raised, the most important being The Church of Panagia Ekatontapyliani, in Parikia, or "Our Lady of the Hundred Gates". The Venetians conquered the island in 1207, and thus it became part of Naxos' Duchy, and, in 1537, was occupied by Turks. In 1821, Paros joined the Greek Revolution against the Turks, and, after the victory, it was incorporated into the Greek state in 1830. Its population numbers 12 853 inhabitants.
From Athens, Eleftherios Venizelos Airport at Spata, there are daily flights all over the year.
Syros can be reached daily from Piraeus (2:30 hours duration) and Rafina (2:30 hours).
There are also daily services that connect Paros to Naxos (30 minutes), Tinos (1:15 hours), Syros (45 minutes), Mykonos
(1 hour), Ios (1:15 hours), Santorini
(2:15 hours), Amorgos (2 hours) and Iraklio, Crete (4 hours).
Police Station 22840 23333
Port Police 22810 82690 / 22840 21240
Port Authority 22840 21240
Olympic Airways - Paros 22840 21900
Olympic Airways - Athens 210 936-3363
Port Authority of Piraeus 210 422 6000
Port authority of Rafina 22940 22487
Port Authority of Thessaloniki 2310531505
Panagia Ekatontapyliani ("Our Lady of the Hundred Gates"), built in the 4th century, is one of the oldest, most beautiful and best-preserved Christian monuments in Greece. It is situated in Parikia, a short distance from the harbour. The complex has 3 distinct buildings: The Church of Agios Nicholaos, The Church of Our Lady and the Baptistery.
Tel. 22840 21243
Parikia is the capital and port of Paros Island, with the windmill roundabout, and Plateia Mavrogenous, the main square.
The Archaeological Museum houses interesting collections of relieves and statues. The most important exhibit is a fragment of the 4th Parian Chronicle that presents the outstanding ancient Greek artistic achievements.
Tel. 22840 21231
The Byzantine Museum contains a large collection of artifacts, especially icons.
The ancient cemetery, situated next to the harbour, dates from 7th century BC. It was excavated in 1983.
The Frankish Kastro, or Castle, was built by the Duke of Naxos Sanoudos, in 1260.
    Back to the top
Cyclades Islands